In 1957, Dr. Esther Turner had a vision to reach out to children in North Portland. She prayed and shared her God-given vision with a few of her other colleagues. The small group of professors banded together and formed the Immanuel Interracial Free Methodist.
In the Early 1960’s, the Immanuel congregation built their first church building. The building was an A-frame structure built by the hands of the members and friends. The building was located on 311 N Ivy and was utilized for ministry and worship by the congregation until the mid 1990’s.
On June 20th 1996, the Immanuel Christian Fellowship suffered an arson fire. The fire was a result of a young man throwing two Molotov cocktails through the window of the sanctuary. This horrible incident provided the church with a wonderful opportunity to share the gospel with thousands of people. It was a difficult, but an exciting and miraculous time.
the purchasing of craigo's
For a number of years in the in the 1990’s Life Change had a desire to purchase our current facility, which at the time was a grocery store called "Craigo’s". It was a blight in the community with rampant drug abuse, prostitution and alcohol abuse present. From the time God gave us the building until the time we were able to remodel the building was roughly a nine-year process. Our congregation gathered in a small section of the building and held two services. During those years, God expanded and grew Life Change Church spiritually and numerically.